Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Everyday Miracles

As I've been sitting here trying to decide what to post, I've thought over what's been happening the last few days. David's grandfather, who we affectionately call Pap, has been here to visit. He arrived on Saturday afternoon. Pap lives in Pennsylvania, so we don't get to see him as often as we like. He had a stroke a few months ago, but is doing so much better. He still tires easily, but he's doing well. Because he tires easily, we didn't get out a lot to show him around. He was content to sit and watch the happenings in our everyday, ordinary lives. So, as I was praying and trying to decide what to post, my thoughts came to him.

Have you ever gotten to a point in your life where you start to question what you've accomplished? What have I really done with my life? I have. Some days I throw a pity party where I'm the only guest. You know the drill..."My life is meaningless," "No one will remember me when I'm gone," "I'm worthless," "No one understands me," "I'm a loser." I could go on and on. Trust me, I've thrown quite a few of those parties. But, while Pap was here, I caught myself watching him watch life. You could see such gratitude on his face, just because he was able to watch his great-grandchildren play a game, color, and sleep. Now, Pap can't get around very well. He has bad knees and walks with a cane, but I never once heard him complain. He was content.

Then I started thinking about my attitude. I don't take the time to recognize the everyday miracles. I have forgotten the miracle of seeing smiles light up tiny, dirty faces because they had found a grasshopper or caught a frog. I'd forgotten the warmth of hearing sweet, tinkling giggles over something silly, or hearing little voices calling to each other at bedtime. Oh, that God would let me remember everyday of my ordinary life!

We took Pap to David's parents' home last night. Before we left to take him there, he said something that touched my heart. He said, "I can see the love in this family. This is a beautiful family." A beautiful family? I hadn't noticed. I suppose I was looking at the wrong things. My house is a mess...the kids are dirty...its so noisy. But Pap, he heard the laughter, saw sweet smiles, and recognized it for what it was. Extraordinary. Maybe, the extraordinary happens in the ordinary life without even trying. We just don't recognize it because we're looking for a huge life-changing experience. Everyday is a chance at a new beginning. Each day is a chance to recognize the everyday miracles...to be content with what God has put before us, to love each other, and to be thankful. Each day is a gift of God, what we do with it is our choice. Today, I choose to be thankful, to see the miracles, to love others, and be content. Wow!

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we may boldly say: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13: 5-6 NKJV










No comments: