Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Comfort in His Arms

Do you remember the comfort you found in your mother's or father's arms as a child? You'd fall and they would pick you up, kiss the hurt, and hold you until you were okay. Do you remember the warmth and love that surrounded you then? When I was smaller, Mama had a purple robe she would wear. It was soft, warm, and smelled like her. I remember the peace and comfort I got from her hugs while she wore that robe. I recall burying my head into that robe when I was hurt or just needed someone to hold me. As adults, we sometimes forget the comfort that comes from just being held. How often I've wished that I could crawl into Mama's lap and let her hold me until I was okay! I'm sure Mama would still hold me until everything was okay. I just don't think I'd fit in her lap anymore.

We grow up and think we have to handle everything on our own. No matter what happens we think its all on our shoulders. We don't seek out comfort or help for lots of reasons. I'll go through my list of reasons: shame, regret, fear, and stubbornness. I think I can do it all or at least I think I should be able too. Am I a failure if I can't handle it all? If I can't put on my happy face, and let everyone believe that I'm okay, have I failed? If they know what's really going on, will they be mad, sad, hurt, or disappointed? If I'm hurting and they see it, will they turn away? These are questions we all have probably asked at one time or another in our lives. I know I have more often than I should. However, there's one thing I have going for me...Jesus.

Life isn't always easy. As a matter of fact, some things can drive you right to desperation. Jesus knows that. I cry because I hurt. Jesus cried too. I feel like I'm all alone. Jesus knows how that feels. One thing I know for sure, He loves me. He sees every tear I cry and I long for the day when He will gently wipe them all away. That day will come...when He so chooses. In the mean time, I run to His arms and let Him hold me when I can't handle it on my own. He will hold me until I'm okay. He will kiss the hurt and give me peace. On the days I feel like a failure, on the days I'm hanging on by a thread, He is my comfort. I imagine Him with open arms waiting for me. I can close my eyes and see Him weeping for me, waiting for me to crawl into His arms. If you are hurting today, find your comfort in Jesus. He knows how you feel. There is no condemnation in Him. He's waiting for you with open arms. Lay your head on His chest, give Him your tears, and tell Him where it hurts. Everything will be okay. Jesus still loves you.

Life is hard, but God is so good and so faithful!


He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge...Psalm 91:4 NKJV

Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name. He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him, and show him My salvation. -- Psalm 91:14-16 NKJV

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. -- Matthew 5:4 NKJV

As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you...Isaiah 66:13 NKJV




No comments: