Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Is it for Life or Death?

Have you ever endured a day when you didn't like yourself, much less anyone else? You know those days you hurt those you love the most because you can't stop the endless sarcasm spilling from your lips. Ok, maybe you haven't, but I have. I've thrown words like daggers and I've seen hurt in the eyes of those I love. Its not something I want to see. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Slowly I am learning the things God is teaching me. He is teaching me there is life and death in every word I speak. After all, didn't God speak the world into creation? Yes, He did.

Then God said, "Let there be light" ; and there was light. --Genesis 1:3 NKJV


Every word we speak, every choice we make, promotes life or death, good or evil. How many times have I led or maybe even pushed others toward death with my words? I've been guilty of insulting words, gossip, words said in anger that I can never take back. How many times have I torn someone down with my words?

For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgement. -- Matthew 12:34c-36 NKJV


So, the Bible says I will be held accountable for every word I speak. For me, that is a very frightening thought. How often have I chosen to speak out of evil instead of good? How many people have I taken down with me along the way? Lord, forgive me for my evil words that have torn down instead of building up.

Words can leave a daunting memory in your mind and on your heart. A memory that will last a lifetime. Will it be a memory that will lead to life or death for those to whom it was directed? There have been times in my life when words have pierced me like a knife. Perhaps, you have experienced similar situations in your life too. Do we want that for our family and friends? If we all stopped to think how words have hurt us, hopefully, we'd be a little kinder in our words to others. God spoke the world into creation. Let's use our words to speak His love into the lives of others. God is so good! God is life! Choose life! Wow!

No comments: