Thursday, October 4, 2007

Wait on the Lord

What do you do when you don't know what to do? Strange question, I know. Have you ever been stuck between a rock and a hard place? If you have, you'll understand why I write this today.

There is someone close to me who is struggling in a difficult situation. We've been praying about this problem and yet, there doesn't seem to be a solution. So what do you do, when you don't know what to do? Do you throw in the towel and just quit trying? Or do you keep on keeping on? I was praying this morning and asking God the same question. God said, "Just wait."

Hmm? Just wait. Now, I am not a particularly patient person. Actually, it seems the older I get, the less patience I have. So, waiting is not my strong point. However, this morning God brought to remembrance a few verses I'd like to share with you:

The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. -- Lamentations 3:25-26 NKJV

But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint. -- Isaiah 40:31 NKJV

Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; Do not fret - it only causes harm. -- Psalm 37:7-8 NKJV

Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord! -- Psalm 27:14 NKJV

So, the Lord says,"Wait on Me...I know what's going on. If you will just trust Me, I will strengthen you through this. Do not worry! I will tell you what to do, but wait on My direction...Wait!" You know those verses aren't merely words. They are promises of God! They are directions. They are a map through this adventure of life. Sometimes the answer to a prayer is wait. And, if you are like me, that's easier said than done. I know I've said this before, but God can see the whole picture. He is our Father. He wants what is best for us. We don't always know what's best. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. But, guess what? He is the God of Becky and (fill in your name), too!

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, And He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the Lord upholds him with His hand. --Psalm 37:23 NKJV

We all are going to be in difficult situations at one time or another in this life, but thanks be to God, we won't be there forever. He promises that He will hold us up with His hand. If you are going through a difficult time in your life, and you've prayed until there's nothing left to say, just wait. Some days when I pray, I feel like my prayers don't make it past the ceiling. But, God promises if we call on Him, He will hear. Perhaps this is your waiting period of life. It is possible that God is using this time to strengthen your trust in Him! We must keep pressing on, keep praying, and trust in the One who knows the future. Sometimes that means waiting. In the meantime, raise your voice and begin singing praises to the One True Living God, who has already made the way for you. Waiting is hard, but God is so good! Wow!

Safe and Sound

[via FoxyTunes / MercyMe]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.