Monday, October 15, 2007

Out of the Pit of Selfishness

Good morning all. First, let me apologize for posting this so late. I usually post on Wednesdays, but since Bailey was out of school last week, I didn't have as much time to devote to the blog. Second, I would like all of you to pray for some dear friends of mine, the Pape family. John is in the Navy and is currently stationed in Virginia. His wife, Sandy, and their son, John Henry live in Texas. John called yesterday and told us John Henry had been hit by a car. As of last night, he was stable. He has a broken leg, a large gash on the back of his head, several stitches in his chin, and several other various scrapes. He had to be taken into surgery last night, so that the doctors could set his leg with a pin. I haven't talked to them since late last night. John was going to fly out this morning. Please keep them in your prayers.

Somedays when I think I have it all together, something happens to remind me how small I really am. Thank you, Lord, for loving me in spite of my nature. No matter what I think is best, no matter what others think is best, no matter where it may lead me, I must put my full trust in God. He's proven Himself to be faithful over and over again. Have you ever actually took the time to think back over your life? To praise God for the wonders He has worked for you? Sometimes I can't see Him when I'm going through the motions of living, but when I think back...oh my, there He was! How did I miss that the first time? Well, I know how I missed it. I'm small-minded and selfish. While I was thinking about myself, He was thinking about me.

I really do so want to focus on Him, but I seem to have a selfish nature. For example, when I go to the store, my kids want a toy for themselves. Did they learn that from me? How often have they ever witnessed me picking up something for myself? More than I could count, I assure you. How often have they witnessed me buying something for someone else? Not something I want to answer, but not often. How often have I invited someone into my home to have supper? Umm, I'm always worried the house isn't clean. God says to serve others. How long has it been since I did something nice for someone else? Yikes...You see, I'm selfish. My God is not. He has so many blessings to bestow on us. How many blessings have I robbed from others because of my selfishness? I'm too deeply ashamed to answer that question.

I didn't learn selfishness from my Heavenly Father. He gave His only Son, His precious Jesus, for me. He gave all He had for me. He picked me up out of my pit, washed me clean, and continues to love me, even in my selfishness. Why can't we do that? Why can't we pick each other up and love each other? Church is a wonderful way to do that, but its not the only way. Sometimes we can get so involved outside of home, we often don't see the need in our own families. God please forgive me for my selfish nature and help me to see past myself so that I can minister to the needs of others! I have been given so much, how much does it really cost to share? Hmm...I believe it's time to step out of my comfort zone. God is so Good! Wow!


For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. -- Galatians 5:13



Casting Crowns-Does Anybody Hear Her

[via FoxyTunes / Casting Crowns]

No comments: